Thursday, January 05, 2012

DRAFT PICKS: Captain Larry's, Here I Come!

Here's another in our series of rediscovered 'Draft Picks' ripped screaming from the files of The Hungover Gourmet. I immediately knew what this one was... a brief diss of the quality of The Baltimore Sun followed by some kudos for their food and dining section. The review that promoted this reflection was this one for Captain Larry's, a neighborhood bar in Federal Hill/Locust Point that apparently serves up a mean fish taco for lunch.

Despite a long-standing love of the newspaper medium I don't read the Baltimore Sun on a daily basis. Frankly, I think it's a pretty bad paper. I got spoiled as a kid with the Philadelphia Inquirer and think that even on its worst day the Inky is better than 99% of the newspapers being produced in big cities.

So when I get the Sun and the Sports section consists of about three pages of "news" that's mostly wire service copy I get kinda depressed.

But one thing I do like about the Sun is their coverage of the area food scene. I honestly look forward to the food and dining news that gets its own section each Wednesday and I've definitely become a fan of Monday's lunch review that not only comments on the food but also provides a look at how long it took for the meal to come out.




No comments: